Thursday, July 19, 2012

Plugging along...

Well we are three weeks into the remodel and the kitchen definitely doesn't look the same.  But we have made some great progress.  The tile flooring has been installed, the pantry shelving has been installed and more importantly the pantry doors have been installed.  Very grateful for a friend who knew how to hang double doors.  I would have been totally lost.  But I continue to learn a lot.  My sweet wife has as well...like when you try to move an outlet that has just been changed out, it is best to make sure the power is off before you touch it...her arm finally stopped twitching.  :o)  Since this was not my first tile installation experience, I thought I needed a challenge...ha ha.  Well, actually my wife decided what she wanted and I was crazy enough to try and tackle it.  Did I mention, I have a desk job as a career...  Though it began with a little bit of a rough start, the overall install went well, much better than I anticipated.  In 15 hours, over five days after work, it was finished.  It took another 5 hours to grout and clean afterward.  Not to bad for a non-professional.  A few pics of our progress...

Our old flooring...pink and grey swirl...not bad just not what we wanted.  

After night 1 of laying tile.  Though we began on a Saturday at 7am...we actually didn't get the first tile laid until about 6 pm...long story.  We went with a neutral tile and an oil rubbed bronze accent insert piece.

While I laid tile, Lauren worked on taping and floating sheetrock.  

Making progress...night 2

Making more progress...night 3

Night 5 after grouting...floor still wet hence the shine.  

View of breakfast area after grouting.  

New pantry with DOORS!!!  Thanks E.J.!!!

Kitchen from the breakfast area showing pantry.  I installed sheetrock over the doors. 

Breakfast area with new tile, and partially installed beadboard on the walls.  

We are making progress, like a herd of turtles.  Haven't done much with this week except get everything in the pantry as my parents are in town.  Still a lot of organizing to do but we are getting there.  I finally hooked up the fridge to the new water line, praise God, no leaks.  We have also had a very kind and generous neighbor come by to teach Lauren how to do a skim texture on the walls.  She is a designer by trade and we have really enjoyed getting to know her through this project.  She has been a total blessing!!!  Thanks, Roxanne!!!  Still have a ways to go...next task, finishing the beadboard and then getting all trim hung; then time to make some cabinets.  Never done that before, but I look forward to learning!! 

Praise God, the project has gone well thus far...



1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks beautiful...great job! We miss y'all terribly!

    ReplyDelete