Monday, May 21, 2012

First "Daddy-Daughter" date...

I got to go on my first Daddy-Daughter date tonight.  Most fathers have to wait 3 years or so to do this...by God's grace I only had to wait 3 weeks.  It was a wonderful evening and such a welcome change.  We had a tough weekend of establishing boundaries and winning/losing some battles.  I am grateful for my wife who insisted I begin this tradition tonight.  The evening was very special and I will cherish it forever.

Cyniya was very shy and standoffish while we got in the car, pretty much the norm toward me over the last three weeks.  As soon as I pulled out of the driveway, the walls came tumbling down and we carried a conversation the entire way to our date.  While I didn't quite follow the conversation of a 3 year old, it was special nevertheless.  We talked about Minnie Mouse and Daisy and Goofy and Mickey.  I also learned that her favorite cookie is "chockit", her favorite cracker is, "chockit" and...um, I am starting to see a pattern.  I think she likes chocolate.  At least she has good taste.

So we arrived at our date place of choice...Rao's Bakery.  We walked in, hand in hand (another big step) and walked past the cookies to the Gelato counter.  I should have known she wanted a cookie.  So we got down and eyed the trays full of cookies.  I asked her what cookie she wanted and she looked at the young man standing next to us and gasped and said, "I don't know..." Overwhelmed with the impending sugar high, no doubt.  The young man next to us in line seemed less than interested but just to see her interact was such a big a step.  I ended up with a small cup of White Chocolate Gelato...I am a sucker for white "chockit."  She chose a thumbprint cookie with, you guessed it, a big old chocolate kiss like dollop on top.

Our 30 minute date was a joy.  We laughed, we talked, we ate, we shared.  I realize that I won't remember what we talked about 20 years from now but I will remember this as the day we first connected...really connected.  It was priceless...

Praise God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment